If you have decided to outsource software development to India, then that decision may actually have been the easy part. Choosing the right remote offshore software developer may be slightly more difficult – but only if you don't know what you are looking for.
All too often, companies fall for the easy bait of the lowest bidder and eagerly outsource their projects to these service providers – usually a freelancer. However, a little down the line, the entire outsourcing venture starts to unravel, leaving the client frustrated and the freelancer unrepentant.
So, here are some things to keep in your checklist before you offshore outsource software development.
1. Is your software developer a freelancer or is he legally employed with an outsourcing service provider, thereby giving him the dependable status of a remote or virtual employee? This is the moot question. The success of your outsourcing venture depends largely on the kind of outsourcing partner you choose. It pays to remember that a freelancer handles multiple clients and assignments, juggles several deadlines simultaneously and your project may be just one among his kitty. A dedicated resource, on the other hand, is more reassuring because they work exclusively for you on and too on a full-time, dedicated manner.
2. Does your offshore software developer have access to the best hardware, software and technology needed for this specialized domain? Software development is a very technical and specialized IT field and requires advanced hardware and software. Obviously, a freelancer working from home in a Third World country would not be able to have access to such advanced technology, which makes hiring a remote employee to handle your outsourced software development work that much more advantageous.
3. Is your precious data safe with this offshore software developer? This is one of the chief concerns during any outsourcing venture. Data theft or data misuse is not uncommon when outsourcing to freelancers. However, this needs to be the least of your worries when you decide to outsource to a virtual software developer who is also your remote employee. Data safeguard is the responsibility of the vendor, who also gets the employee to sign a NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) as a further precautionary measure.
4. Is it easy to work with, manage and collaborate with your offshore developer? Working with a freelancer on an important software development project can be a bit of a harrowing experience if you are the one who is forever chasing them for a meeting. Since most freelancers work alone from home, and in different time zones, interacting with a freelancer is fraught with hurdles. A dedicated offshore developer works from the well-equipped office of the outsourcing service provider, enjoying easy access to latest technology-driven communication facilities (Skype, telephone calls, video conferencing, VoIP and so on), making collaboration and working with them easy and stress-free.
5. Most of all, is your software developer an expert? Are his credentials verifiable? Hiring freelancers may seem like you are getting best value for money but it is a widely known fact that 'dummy' references abound on the internet. There are many freelancers who pass off other's credentials as their own and, sitting far away in your country, there's really no way in which you can verify their claims. A remote employee, on the other hand, comes with references that have been double-checked by a well-established vendor's recruitment team.
If you can confidently tick these boxes while deciding upon your offshore remote software developer, then go right ahead and enjoy the benefits of outsourcing with a remote employee.
Daya Mukherjee is a Senior Content Writer and Editor working for a Remote Staffing Outsourcing company in India. You can find out more information by visiting our Outsourcing Services, Software Developer India , Website Developer India web Sites.
A day in the life of a software engineer05:29Script, direction and screen play by praveen kinathy.
BBC News - India's mobile app industry booming.mp4 - India Business Report ..02:58Mohit sureka - spiel studios pvt. ltd., mumbai, india - software app developers operating from india & usa www.spiel-s.com.
My dream is to be a software developer - International student from India02:36Mandeep singh - btec extended diploma in ict, level 3 mandeep is one of only a few students to have been selected for a scholarship to attend university on a...
CMS Institute, web designing, software training, computer training institut ..01:191. master diploma in software programming | best software training institute in bangalore. the software development course is specialty designed for those st...
Lec 1 | MIT 6.00 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming, Fall 200 ..53:30Lecture 1: goals of the course; what is computation; introduction to data types, operators, and variables instructors: prof. eric grimson, prof. john guttag ...